Sunday, February 3, 2008

On My Honor I Will Do My Best to Do My Duty to God and My Country...


Though I memorized the Scout Oath over twenty years ago, and I have recited it countless times since, only now have the words impressed me in such a way that they actually have given me comfort (if ever there were a time when I needed comfort and serenity, now would be one of them - not just because the Patriots blew a Perfect season, but also because I have progressed so much over the past few years that I cannot allow some needless guilt to impede, hinder, or negate such progress or any future progress.) To be quite open, recently I had been punishing myself with needless guilt over a false concern that I had not been offering enough service or that I had been unable to more serve others.

The comfort, however, first came after I read the First Presidency's message in the January issue of the Ensign. As part of his inspired message President Monson quoted Elder Richard L. Evans (1906–71) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “We can’t do everything for everyone everywhere, but we can do something for someone somewhere.

I knew right away that these words were meant for me, or that I was meant to read them. The Spirit of comfort was so strong that I nearly cried; finally the burden had been lifted as I realized that indeed I had been doing enough, if not more than enough.

Then I felt comfort from the Oath. After I sat pondering my new realization, the very familiar promises of the Scout Oath, which I had made over and over yet too often had forgotten, came blazing through my mind like the bright red words of an electronic LED display: On my Honor I will do my do best to do my duty to God and my Country and to obey the Scout Law. In no part of this Oath did I ever promise to always do everything; I simply promised to do my best, and if doing my best does not include everything, then at least I am doing something.

~~ Eagle Scout Dave

3 comments:

Watauga Relief Society said...

thanks Dave, great post :)

Unknown said...

Good Post. You don't have to do everything!

Dave from Boston said...

I appreciate your comments.

~~ A to the B Power for Best Effort Dave